Asparagus – Mary Washington
£1.29 – £10.99
This is an extremely easy perennial plant to raise cheaply from seed if you have a little patience which will reward you with prolific crops for many years with little effort.
Asparagus Mary Washington
Vegetable Asparagus Mary Washington. This is an extremely easy perennial plant to raise cheaply from seed if you have a little patience which will reward you with prolific crops for many years with little effort. Tasty shoots are thick, straight, dark green with purple colour at the tightly folded tips. One of the most popular asparagus varieties. Excellent for home gardens. Graceful, feathery green foliage remains attractive long after harvest. Highly resistant to asparagus rust. Uniform heavy yields. Full or partial sun.
Cultivation Advice Asparagus Mary Washington
- Type: Perennial
- Days To Germination: 14-15
- Planting Depth: 1-1/2 inches
- Spacing, Row: 36inches
- Spacing, Plant: 12-18 inches
- Plant Height: 30 inches
- Light: Sunny or Partially Shaded
- Sow as early as possible in the spring after soaking seeds overnight, 2-3 seeds per pot.
- Optimum soil temperature for germination is 60-86 degrees.
- When large enough to handle thin to the strongest plant, or transplant additional seedlings
- Select a well drained site with a sunny or partially shaded location.
- When 3-4 inches plant out in raised rows 3ft apart, 12-18 inches between plants.
- Plants should not be harvested until the second year and only lightly. Heavy cuttings are possible the third year.
- Mulch the rows in autumn to protect the plants and provide nutrients as these are heavy feeders.